Well hello 2019!


I just read my post for 2018 and my goals for last year. I was going to a trough time and I am glad to say that I have been getting better. The last year did make me realize a lot of stuff and I will share those that you will notice most in the upcoming year here on the blog.

I like my blog. I like having it as an outlet for my reading. I like being a part of the community and though I realize a lot of the community has been moving more to social media and stuff I like my little corner of the internet. I do not like the idea I have to post all the time but noticed in the last year that it does not matter much. People will come when I post and if I don't post that seems to be fine too. I am going to try and keep up with monthly posts in 2019 (though I did miss some in 2018) it will make me more aware of what I have been reading that month and what I enjoyed most.

I love reading. Now there is a surprise. I have been mood reading most of 2018 and I loved it. I had not expected to read much but managed to read 105 books. A lot due to the fact that I am now used to reading 2 books at a time. Well... listen to one and read one. Meaning I regularly finish 2 books a week and I am very happy with that. Though it did start a discussion whether an audiobook counts as a 'real' book. I say yes, the other half does not think so. Feel free to weigh in!

What I liked less was the ARC pressure. We all know the big black holes that are called Edelweiss and Netgalley and how they can suck us in on the idea we have to read them all! The long lists of review books waiting for some attention. The wondering why you requested that one book when you do not feel like reading historical fiction (for like the last 4 months) but it is due to be released and now you have to read it anyway. And it did look good when you requested it so now you will read it and you do not like it because you feel forced into reading it (recognizable... someone?). I managed to finish most of the requested books I had open. The few still left have been there for over a year and I am not going to worry much about them though I do plan on reading them.
I am going to try and be strong and I will visit both sites and request a book when I want to read it. But just one at a time. Request when the whole package is good or because it is written by a favourite author. I know I am going to miss out on some great reads but I have other reading plans for the year.

The BIG DANGEROUS PILE OF UNREAD BOOKS. I have one and I will write a post about this pile. Because I am going to use this blog for accountability. To show that I am working on it. That it is getting smaller and not bigger. I am not saying no new books will enter my house but I am going to try and make it just a big pile. Not one of those high stacks of books that make you wonder when they will fall on top of your head.

This means I will put my Goodreads goal for 2019 on 95 books. A little space for those big ones or when things are not going as planned.
I am going to start a Read Around The World Challenge. Just for me and there is no end date but 2019 is my starting point.
I am going to check in on the PopSugar Challenge and the Hebban challenges again. I do not force myself to read books to fit those challenges but I like that they make me think more about the books I read. Same with my excel sheet I have been using for the past years that made me realize in 2018 that I was heavy on the male authors for the first time in years.

But my biggest plan is to continue enjoying my reading and my little corner of the internet!

What did you discover in 2018 and is it going to help you make 2019 a better year?

Previous
Next Post »