Train on Thursday: In the Land of the Long White Cloud, Sarah Lark

I travel with public transport on regular base. One of my favourite past times when in bus or train besides reading is checking out what other people read. I usually look these books up (especially when someone is so hooked they don't notice me checking them out) to see if they would be something for me. In this weekly I will introduce you to the books I spotted while travelling.
If you want to join in this weekly feel free to write your own post on the books you spot. That can be anywhere, in the park, on the street, in line at the book store / library. There is a linky in the bottom to link up your post or you can leave a comment!

Het land van belofte Sarah Lark
Hardworking London governess Helen Davenport longs for a family of her own but knows the prospect of finding a suitable husband grows dimmer each year. Then she spots an advertisement seeking wives for the churchgoing bachelors of colonial New Zealand and begins an affectionate correspondence with a gentleman farmer. Meanwhile, not far away in Wales, society life bores Gwyneira Silkham, beautiful, daring daughter of a wealthy sheep breeder. She finds an unexpected escape when her father loses a blackjack hand to a mysterious New Zealand baron ? and Gwyn's hand in marriage goes to the baron's son. The women cross paths on the ship to Christchurch ? Helen traveling steerage, Gwyn first class ? and form an unlikely friendship, one they?ll rely on when the husbands awaiting them turn out very different than they?d imagined. This nineteenth-century saga of two unforgettable young women ? navigating a new world and finding friendship, romance, and adventure at every turn ? is as lush and sweeping as the hills of New Zealand themselves.

Muahahah this book is on my to read shelf. Seeing the woman running around with it on the station I was a bit jealous but honestly there are only so many books you can put in a spot that still need to be read before getting weird looks from other people in your house (or government cleaning services). 
So YES this book will be read, someday!



Previous
Next Post »

2 reacties

Write reacties
Unknown
AUTHOR
06 September, 2013 delete

I love book spotting. I can't help myself to check out what other people are reading :)

Reply
avatar
Melinda
AUTHOR
09 September, 2013 delete

Another nice cover! I think I would also have spotted this one if someone were to sit and read it - infact I'd probably ask to see the name :)

Reply
avatar