Top Ten Tuesday: Book you were forced to read

Top Ten Tuesday buttonTop Ten Tuesday is a weekly hosted by The Broke and Bookish. Every week the girls from the Broke and
Bookish come up with a subject and I will try to find 10 results combined with that weeks topic.

This weeks topic is books you were forced to read. The first feeling this gave me was something negative and it really took me a while to get over that feeling. It took me some time to realise that not every book I was forced to read was a book I did not like in the end. After realizing that I realised I was not even sure if I could come up with ten books.

1. De Aanslag, Harry Mulisch
A book forced on me by the Dutch lessons. As I loved stories on the second world war I did not really mind reading it was very Dutch.
2. Terug naar Oegstgeest, Jan Wolkers
In this book the author more or less relives his youth in the small village Oegstgeest. This village was close to where I grew up and while reading this book I had so much trouble as we pronounced it as Oestgeest (missing the first g) I felt it was typed wrong all the time. The book was about places I knew so that was funny. Also a must read for Dutch class.
3. Een vlucht regenwulpen, Maarten 't Hart
Another must read for Dutch class and one I did not really enjoy. I do not really feel this book is appropriate for a 15 year old. It is dark and depressing and very religious.

4. Anna Karenina, Leo Tolstoy
This book was chosen as part of a group read in which we would support one another trying to read it. I never really considered picking up the Russians but thought in this setting I decided to have a go. I did not finish this book though it is not that bad of a read... just very long and much of the same.
5. Love in the Time of Cholera, Gabriel Garciá Márguez
This book was a book group pick too. I knew I probably would not like it while reading the summary. I am not sure how many pages I read but if it was more than 20 I will be surprised.
6. The End of Mr. Y, Scarlett Thomas
This book was advised to me for my Book Bingo Challenge. One of the squares is "free" and you were to find someone else participating in the challenge to give you a recommendation for a book.
Previous
Next Post »

2 reacties

Write reacties
Lianne
AUTHOR
15 October, 2013 delete

I don't think I could ever read Anna Karenina or any other Russian lit title as part of a group read or in a class setting; have to be in the mood to read them, really, lol (minus maybe their short stories; am reading a few of Ivan Turgenev's short stories right now, lol).

Been meaning to re-read Love in the Time of Cholera (I liked it enough; then I read One Hundred Years of Solitude and adored that book)

My TTT

Reply
avatar
Melinda
AUTHOR
15 October, 2013 delete

Ah! Marquez :-|
I want to read Anna Karenina though!

Reply
avatar