The Bone Clocks, David Mitchell

The Bone Clocks, David Mitchell
Author: David Mitchell
Publisher: Sceptre
Pages: 595
Format: Paperback
ISBN-10: 0340921617
ISBN-13: 9780340921616
Sceptre: eBook | Hardcover | Paperback
TITELBOEK




Following a scalding row with her mother, fifteen-year-old Holly Sykes slams the door on her old life. But Holly is no typical teenage runaway: a sensitive child once contacted by voices she knew only as “the radio people,” Holly is a lightning rod for psychic phenomena. Now, as she wanders deeper into the English countryside, visions and coincidences reorder her reality until they assume the aura of a nightmare brought to life.
For Holly has caught the attention of a cabal of dangerous mystics—and their enemies. But her lost weekend is merely the prelude to a shocking disappearance that leaves her family irrevocably scarred. This unsolved mystery will echo through every decade of Holly’s life, affecting all the people Holly loves—even the ones who are not yet born. (Goodreads)

This book has approximately 595 pages, depending on your version. I found it a long 595 pages with so much information I was overwhelmed.
The book starts with Holly. Getting an inside in her "radio people" problem other world problem and her very much weird life real world problems. The next big character introduced is Hugo Lambert with his companions. I liked Holly her story a lot. It was something I was able to relate too and her confusion matched a lot of my own confusion about this book. There are so many characters and storylines in this book it is hard to decide what actually is the main motivation behind actions taken. Politics. Love and betrayal. Religion. History, today and the future. Things from some shimmering mirror world having influence on my world.
Eventually as the story unfolds and worlds and characters are getting involved in each others lives things start to make a bit more sense. I never really grasped the meaning of Esther Little and Hugo. I did enjoy the story of Marinus a lot.
Still there is something about this book that keeps me from throwing it out to a second hand shop or something. I am intrigued by the writing, I am pulled by the feeling I missed something essential and the need to find it. I will probably reread this book at some point.
Previous
Next Post »

5 reacties

Write reacties
Katie McD
AUTHOR
17 April, 2015 delete

I REALLY loved this book A LOT, but can completely see what you mean in your review. It IS a very confusing book, and you kind of just have to just go with it. I normally don't like to self-promote with links to my blog in comments, BUT, you might get something out of my list of 5 reasons to read The Bone Clocks post.
https://bookishtendencieskatie.wordpress.com/2015/03/02/5-reasons-you-should-read-the-bone-clocks/

Reply
avatar
Ciska
AUTHOR
17 April, 2015 delete

Thanks for sharing your post. It is always nice to see other opinions. Totally agree on your point 5. You do not realize what is important to remember and you have to pay attention :) As said I will probably re-read it with this knowledge at some point.

Reply
avatar
Katie McD
AUTHOR
17 April, 2015 delete

Yes, I love how he lets his readers be smart and figure things about for themselves. I'm reading Cloud Atlas by Mitchell right now, and will see how it fares up against The Bone Clocks. His books are MEANT for re-reading :)

Reply
avatar
Jen G.
AUTHOR
20 April, 2015 delete

Once I got going on this one, I loved it. I know what you mean about keeping the book. I have a different cover and it looks like a piece of art I'd hang on a wall. Enjoyed the movie too. Lots of important themes of humanity and life in it.

Reply
avatar
21 April, 2015 delete

I’m so torn on whether I want to read this one or not because I was completely underwhelmed by Cloud Atlas.

Reply
avatar