End of the Year Survey the 2016 Edition!


The End of the Year Survey is created by Jamie from The Perpetual Page Turner.

Number Of Books You Read: 65
Number of Re-Reads: 0
Genre You Read The Most From: General Fiction and Crime

1. Best Book You Read In 2016?
Hex by Thomas Olde Heuvelt. The whole setting is scary and weird. I was shocked when I put it down
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
All These Perfect Strangers by Aoife Clifford
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?
The Orphan Master's Son by Adam Johnson. I heard a lot of good things about it but the setting was way out of my comfort zone. When I saw it in a little free library I took it. I really loved it. 
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?
I hope a lot of people picked up Everything Love Is by Claire King. Very emotional and heartbreaking
5. Best series you started in 2016? Best Sequel of 2016? Best Series Ender of 2016?
I finally picked up The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde. Did not continue in the Thursday Next series yet but really enjoyed it.
I read Library of Souls. The last book of Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children. I feel it is a great end to this series.
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2016?
Difficult. I did read a few books that I enjoyed enough to keep an eye out for new books from these authors. Like Holly Seddon and Dot Hutchison
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
The Orphan Master's Son by Adam Johnson
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
Hex by Thomas Olde Heuvelt. Though The Butterfly Garden by Dot Hutchison was very captivating too.
9. Book You Read In 2016 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde when I will pick up the next books in the series.
10. Favourite cover of a book you read in 2016?
I hate this question. I am a big cover lover and pick up books if I find the cover attractive. I love the art of Christodora by Tim Murphy. Flight Behaviour by Barbara Kingsolver with the butterflies is really nice. My copy of The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde has the best cover.
11. Most memorable character of 2016?
Thursday Next for the win!
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2016?
Everything Love Is by Claire King
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2016?
The Hollow of the Hand by P.J. Harvey
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2016 to finally read?
The Passage by Justin Cronin
15. Favourite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2016?
I have not been good at keeping my quotes organized this year. I did add a Reif Larsen quote to my Goodreads which is more relevant than ever.
“It's okay to be scared," she said. "It means you have something to live for.”
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2016?
Shortest was Once by Morris Gleitzman
Longest was the Fireman by Joe Hill
17. Book That Shocked You The Most
The Butterfly Garden by Dot Hutchison. This book gave me the chills for 270 pages.
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
The whole of Magruder's Curiosity Cabinet. They were all so great together. 
19. Favourite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
I loved the story of Helen McDonald and Mabel her hawk in H is for Hawk
20. Favourite Book You Read in 2016 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
The Fireman by Joe Hill. Though it took me a bit to get hooked with over 700 pages you have a lot of time to really get into it.
21. Best Book You Read In 2016 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure
The Nix by Nathan Hill. I saw this book everywhere. Media outlets, huge piles in book stores, my twitter and Facebook timelines. It got me curious and I decided to grab a copy.
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2016?
I have not been reading a lot of books that grabbed me emotionally or had the fall in love with this character thing going on.
23. Best 2016 debut you read?
Try Not to Breathe by Holly Seddon
24. Best World building/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
Hex by Thomas Olde Heuvelt
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2016?
The Butterfly Garden by Dot Hutchison.
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
Magruder's Curiosity Cabinet by H.P. Wood
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
Hamilton The Revolution by Lin Manuel Miranda and Jeremy McCarter. I love the musical and having the score in my hand made me happy. All the extra material is great to have too.
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2016?
I Am Radar by Reif Larsen. It is hard to explain. You have to read it.
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
The Butterfly Garden by Dot Hutchison.

Blogging
1. New favourite book blog you discovered in 2016?
I have not been looking for new blogs really. I am having a hard time keeping track of the ones I do follow already and love.
2. Favourite review that you wrote in 2016?
The Butterfly Garden by Dot Hutchison
3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?

My It's Monday posts are always well visited
4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
The 24 hour Read-a-thon!!
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2016?
I have been posting to Instagram more because it is easier and quicker to connect and I found a lot of fun bookstagram challenges.
6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year?
Both reading and blogging have been challenging. I am trying to find a satisfying way to work on both but it is work in progress.
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)? +
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
I do not really have a post that did not get enough attention or that really is more popular than others.
9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
I went to the Dominicanen Bookstore in Maastricht this year. I have been wanting to see the inside of this store for ages and this year we jumped on a train for 6.5 hours for a visit there.
10.  Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
Yes I did finish my Goodreads challenge. I managed to read 8 books for the Mount-TBR challenge and did not make the 12 book goal but I actually read more than I had expected at the start.

Looking Ahead
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2016 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2017?
I am going to join #ReadYourOwnDamnBooks this year so I will probably read a lot of books I have been lining up last year. I think Amor Towles A Gentleman in Moscow is highest on my list.
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2017 (non-debut)? 2017 Debut You Are Most Anticipating? Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2017?
I do not really have titles on the radar for this question.
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2017?
I hope to read and blog this year. If I can manage to keep up I will be happy already.
6. A 2017 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone
I read The Believer by Joakim Zander and it is very good. 

Previous
Next Post »

1 reacties:

Write reacties
Susan
AUTHOR
30 December, 2016 delete

EVERYTHING LOVE IS sounds really good. I hadn't heard of it before I read your post. Thanks for the heads-up!

Happy New Year!

Reply
avatar