Jazz Age January: And All That Jazz

It is confession time. And it is not even about books.. it is about music.
I love Jazz music. Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong, Paul Whiteman, Ethel Waters and Bessie Smith.Their voices or their songs are well known even now.

Though the fist mentions of Jazz music go back as the 19th century, the first documented use of this form of music is found in the city of New Orleans in 1910 which is why most people connect the music with that town. In the early 20's we see a lot of the Jazz musicians move to Chicago and New York though. With the growing number of speakeasies in these town those where the places to be. The audience in the new places were confronted with Louis Armstrong's New Orleans Jazz, Paul Whiteman's more symphonic Jazz and not to forget the introduction by the big audience of Blues with Mamie Smith's Crazy Blues.

New York was confronted mostly with big Jazz orchestra's, Chigaco saw more bands forming of the musicians that where visiting the city. Louis Armstrong was roaming the Chigaco streets and Duke Ellington arrived in New York in 1922. It was clear Jazz was a serious form of music and people were actually able to make money with their performances despite the bad reputation of the music.
In 1924 Louis Armstrong moved to New York bringing his own style and sound to the Fletcher Henderson dance band. He changed the style of the music played in New York. Introducing surprisingly lively solo performances able to improvise at every given point he set a whole new standard.
Nicknamed "King of Jazz" Paul Whiteman was often scolded because he wanted to write down every piece of music as he felt that would improve the quality. Still his songs were well received and did a lot of good for the reputation of Jazz. With over 3000 arrangement in his name he was one of the most successful Jazz musicians from that period. Not to forget he got Bing Crosby introduced to the big audience.
A lot of music written during this time has been recorded again later by famous artists like Billy Holiday and Nat King Cole.

There is much written about Jazz you can read on the internet already but the most important is the music so I made a playlist on Youtube with some of the greatest artists and jazz pieces from this period.


Cannot get enough... do visit the host of Jazz Age January Book Speaks Volumes for more Jazz
Previous
Next Post »

10 reacties

Write reacties
11 January, 2014 delete

Thanks for sharing this, Ciska! I've never really listened to jazz (except for Django Reinhard, a jazz guitarist from the '40s), but I'm totally going to listen to your playlist to get myself in the mood while I do my jazz age reading this month!

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
11 January, 2014 delete

I guess it's about time i started listening to music while i read. Bring on the swingin' tunes.

Reply
avatar
11 January, 2014 delete

Great post!! I love Ella Fitzgerald and Marian McPartland! :) I think my favorite jazz is that simple trio of piano, string bass, and drums.

Reply
avatar
Sharon
AUTHOR
12 January, 2014 delete

Wow thank you for that playlist, I also love Jazz but mostly listen to later music so hearing music from the 20s is wonderful, I will use your playlist for background to my reading.

Reply
avatar
Jen G.
AUTHOR
12 January, 2014 delete

At a great post idea for JAJ! You know it's good music when there's a whole era names after it! (Thanks for linking up to Spread the Love Linky Party!)

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
12 January, 2014 delete

I'm listening to this jazz song as I write my comment. . . Your post just kept reminding me of the Broadway-show-turned-movie (which I've seen on both Broadway and in movie form) of Chicago. I love the "modern" jazz music that the soundtrack has and I actually listen to it on my ipod a lot. But actual jazz music from the 20s? I don't think I've ever listened to that!

Thanks for linking up to the Spread the Love Linky Party!!! I've pinned this, too! :D

Reply
avatar
Elizabeth
AUTHOR
13 January, 2014 delete

What a fun post. THANKS for sharing.

Elizabeth
Silver's Reviews
My Spread The Love Post

Reply
avatar
Melinda
AUTHOR
13 January, 2014 delete

Nice post! I'm going to listen to your playlist as soon as I can get a pair of earphones (back at work :( )

I love the music too, but I must admit I love the era's fashion a lot more :D

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
13 January, 2014 delete

Thanks for sharing! This is awesome :)

Reply
avatar
16 January, 2014 delete

I love that you added this to Jazz Age January, such a cool post!

Reply
avatar