Train on Thursday: Wij zijn ons brein, Dick Swaab

I travel with public transport on a regular base. I always love to check out what other people read while traveling. When I get a chance I take a look if their book would be something for me.
This week a rather interesting book, which kind of spoils the rest of this post.

Wij zijn ons brein Dick Swaab cover
The story of your life is the story of your brain. It starts in the womb, where the brain is being formed in a way that is defining for the rest of your life. In this book Dick Swaab follows the human brain from conception till dead. What are the threats for an unborn child? What happens to the brains of teenagers, when you are in love, how being straight or being gay is defined and what happens exactly when you get Alzheimer? De sense and nonsense of different therapy strategies, medication en alternative medication, aggression, moral behaviour and religion, meditation, brain damage, psychological problems and near-death experiences are being described in this book.
The man reading the book seemed to be very much into it. The pages where just going and going. When I made a search for the book and read what it was about I became even more curious so I went to a bookshop and picked it up to have a peek. Truth is the book did read easy for a book of science. It was written in an open style (those 4 sentences I managed to read) but this is not a book I would pick up. I don't think I want to know how my brain works and why I do what I do.. at least now I can still claim ignorance.

Do you read books that explain stuff like how your brain works or other body parts just out of curiosity?

Do you spot what other people read on the street? Join in and link up your post or leave a comment with the title of the books you spotted and if you would consider reading it.
Previous
Next Post »