time I decided to participate again. Last time I had a week off after the read-a-thon and noticed I did need an extra day to recover from the whole reading in the small hours so I took Monday off from work to recover. This means I do hope to only sleep for a few hours during the 24 hours, I will not work without sleep.
I have a few books ready and a few more stocked just in case.
I am planning to read
- The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
- The Sense of an Ending
- De gele wereld
- The End of Mr. Y
- Sophie's World
- Ronia, the Robber's Daughter
- I Am Pilgrim
I will probably not finish them all as some are bigger than others but I will pick up what I feel like. I will post pictures of my books and snacks later as it is dark now and it will not work. Keep an eye on this post because I will keep up with my progress here.
So the preparations are done and this is what my read-a-thon will most likely look like.
2 PM Hour 1 an introduction
1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today?
I am reading from my couch in the middle of the Netherlands. I heard there are a lot of other Dutchies so do tell me if you are. Welcome to people from other countries too!!
2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to?
That would be I Am Pilgrim but I am not sure if I will get to that one now it is actually lined up as extra.
3) Which snack are you most looking forward to?
What I look most forward to is dinner which will be made by the other half in the house and it is kale stamppot and my favourite dish.
4) Tell us a little something about yourself!
I told myself I was allowed extra snacks for the read-a-thon and bought way to much. I asked the other half to play GTA5 so I cannot lay down on the couch and fall asleep immediately (it is two PM here and I love to nap on Saturday afternoon) and I am wearing new fluffy socks and they are comfortable.
5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to?
Last year I spend way to much time on twitter and participating in challenges and visiting other blogs and did not read as much as I wanted but I loved it so I will probably make that "error" again this year
So of to the reading: I will start with finishing The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake
Total pages read: 0
Books finished: 0
4 PM Hour 3 trying to keep my eyes openTotal pages read: 110
Books finished: 1/5 (was reading this before the read-a-thon already)
Snacks: Had some sweets and two cups of tea
Challenges: Participated in the hour 2 challenge over at River City Reading
Have to decide on my next book and will visit some blogs trying to stay awake.
7 PM Hour 6 the evening is startingTotal pages read: 277
Books finished: 1.5 I finished De Gele wereld
Snacks: I had dinner and a beer
Challenges: I made the puzzling challenge over at Just One More Thing in hour 3 but did not participated for the hours 4 and 5 as they are both poetry challenges and I am not that great with poetry.
So next up is The End of Mr. Y and I am glad that I survived without a nap!!
11 PM Hour 10 Toothpicks please??!!??Total pages read: 347 (70 pages since the last update
Books finished: 1.5
Snacks: I had naan with tzatziki.
Challenges: I did not participate in the challenges. I turned of my computer because I was way to distracted with all the twitter and other sites and so on. Not that it helped much because I can feel I am getting tired. Am going to try and stay awake another 3 hours.
7AM Hour 18 TEA TEA TEA!!Total pages read: 427
Books finished: 1.5
Challenges: Well the biggest challenge was to stay awake the last hours and that did not really work. I fell asleep around 2 AM and woke up just before 6.
It is positively raining outside now and early and dark and I feel like putting up my Christmas tree. Sooo 6 hours left and I hope to finish The End of Mr Y. As promised by a lot of people this book is very entertaining and I feel I have to convince Melinda from The Book Musings to read it.
I would also like to thank my cheerleaders!!!! Team OTTEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!! I posted this video for the cheerleaders I know are in this team on twitter earlier but for those still dropping by here you go!!
1PM Hour 24 Need to read!!Total pages read: 627
Books finished: 1.5
Snacks: Tea and cookies!
Challenges: The biggest challenge is that I would love to finish this book but as it is a great but slow read I am sure I am not going to make it. I will probably read around 50 more pages and that will be it.
- Which hour was most daunting for you? Around 3PM yesterday, I was really ready for a nap and had to keep myself awake
- Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year? Well I am reading The End of Mr. Y by Scarlett Thomas which is a fun read but as mentioned slow.
- Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year? Not at all. I think it is organized great and I love the number of international prizes this year!! Thanks for that
- What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon? I have seen a lot of cheerleaders everywhere!!
- How many books did you read? 1 complete book and two halves
- What were the names of the books you read? De gele wereld by Albert Epsinosa I finished I read The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake and The End of Mr. Y
- Which book did you enjoy most? The End of Mr. Y
- Which did you enjoy least? De gele wereld
- If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders? I was not cheerleading but I loved that they were on twitter too a lot.
- How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time? I love to read in the read-a-thon so I will probably do that again next year