Wishlist Wednesday: The Bookman's Tale, Charlie Lovett

Wishlist Wednesday is a weeklies hosted by Pen to Paper. As I have enough wishes when it comes to books I decided to join this weekly and tell you about them. I am obviously curious about the books on your wishlist too so feel free to leave a message.

Hay-on-Wye, 1995. Peter Byerly isn’t sure what drew him into this particular bookshop. Nine months earlier, the death of his beloved wife, Amanda, had left him shattered. The young antiquarian bookseller relocated from North Carolina to the English countryside, hoping to rediscover the joy he once took in collecting and restoring rare books. But upon opening an eighteenth-century study of Shakespeare forgeries, Peter is shocked when a portrait of Amanda tumbles out of its pages. Of course, it isn’t really her. The watercolor is clearly Victorian. Yet the resemblance is uncanny, and Peter becomes obsessed with learning the picture’s origins.

As he follows the trail back first to the Victorian era and then to Shakespeare’s time, Peter communes with Amanda’s spirit, learns the truth about his own past, and discovers a book that might definitively prove Shakespeare was, indeed, the author of all his plays.

Books about books combined with following trails and unraveling pasts and a pretty cover. This would be a book I would hold on to and jump around with in a bookstore if I found it.
Previous
Next Post »

7 reacties

Write reacties
29 May, 2013 delete

This does sounds pretty interesting and it's new to me :) Hope you get it and enjoy it!

Janina
My WW!

Reply
avatar
29 May, 2013 delete

Ooh, sounds amazing! And I do love books about books! Awesome choice, as usual.

Lisa
My WW

Reply
avatar
Unknown
AUTHOR
29 May, 2013 delete

I have a really funny mental image of you jumping up and down in the book store now! Thanks for sharing this week, it's not my sort of thing as I'm rubbish with historical books and books about books... (I think I might be the complete opposite of you). I hope you enjoy it if you get it though :)

Shona
My WW

Reply
avatar
Ula
AUTHOR
29 May, 2013 delete

Great pick! Books about books are rare but great finds! ;)

Hope you get it soon!
My WW

Reply
avatar
Sarah
AUTHOR
29 May, 2013 delete

This book sounds soooo interesting! 'Books about books': I love it! Plus, I've always wanted to go to Hay-on-Wye's book festival... I think I may look this book up myself! Hope you get it!

Sarah
My WW

Reply
avatar
Unknown
AUTHOR
29 May, 2013 delete

This book sounds interesting. It's not a book I typically read but, it sounds good. I hope you get it soon!
Brittany @ Spare Time Book blog
My WW: http://sparetimebookblog.blogspot.com/2013/05/wishlist-wednesday-49.html

Reply
avatar
Melinda
AUTHOR
31 May, 2013 delete

Oh my, let me go check this out on goodreads. You know I love books about books! :)

Reply
avatar