Train on Thursday: A Clash Of Kings, George R.R. Martin

On Thursday I travel with the train. A lot of people read while traveling and I am curious what they read while traveling. In this weekly I take a look at their books and see if it is something for me.

This week a young girl totally hooked in A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin. Her paperback was used and the spine was almost gone. I could not make out what the book was until she held it up and between the cover folds I could recognize the crown which is on the cover of this book.

A Clash of Kings Train on Thursday
A comet the color of blood and flame cuts across the sky. And from the ancient citadel of Dragonstone to the forbidding shores of Winterfell, chaos reigns. Six factions struggle for control of a divided land and the Iron Throne of the Seven Kingdoms, preparing to stake their claims through tempest, turmoil, and war. It is a tale in which brother plots against brother and the dead rise to walk in the night. Here a princess masquerades as an orphan boy; a knight of the mind prepares a poison for a treacherous sorceress; and wild men descend from the Mountains of the Moon to ravage the countryside. Against a backdrop of incest and fratricide, alchemy and murder, victory may go to the men and women possessed of the coldest steel...and the coldest hearts. For when kings clash, the whole land trembles (taken from goodreads)

I read the first book A Game of Thrones in this series for a Big Book Challenge once. With all the hype surrounding the television series and the books I became curious so I decided to give it a try. After three pages I made a search for a family tree on the internet and after the first 2 chapters I was lost but not in a good way. Thanks to other people struggling trough the book and the help of the audio book which helped me take a step back and carefully read the first chapters again I managed to finish the first book and decided not to continue the series.

Truth is that once I got into the book it was not really bad but I was not overly thrilled and it was just to much effort. So maybe one day when I get the feeling I read all the books I wanted to read and still got some time left I think "Ow wait, there is always the rest of the Songs of Ice and Fire series" but for now no.

The US version of A Clash of Kings is published by Bantam part of The Random House publishing group. They currently got A Clash of Kings available in paperback, trade paperback and hardcover.  The Dutch version of this book "Strijd der koningen" has been published by Luitingh-Sijthoff under their imprint Luitingh Fantasy and is available in hardcover. For other versions visit the sites of your favorite booksellers.

Did you read the books and / or watch the series and what is your take on it?
Who managed to read this book without a family tree and not get confused?
Do you keep an eye on what other people read while commuting and got a post about that don't hesitate to leave your link in the comments.
Previous
Next Post »