Review: Rivers of London, Ben Aaronovitch

Rivers of London, Ben Aaronovitch cover
Probationary Constable Peter Grant dreams of being a detective in London's Metropolitan Police. Too bad his superior plans to assign him to the Case Progression Unit, where the biggest threat he'll face is a paper cut. But Peter's prospects change in the aftermath of a puzzling murder, when he gains exclusive information from an eyewitness who happens to be a ghost. Peter's ability to speak with the lingering dead brings him to the attention of Detective Chief Inspector Thomas Nightingale, who investigates crimes involving magic and other manifestations of the uncanny. Now, as a wave of brutal and bizarre murders engulfs the city, Peter is plunged into a world where gods and goddesses mingle with mortals and long-dead evil is making a comeback on a rising tide of magic.

Ben Aaronovitch was born in 1964. In his early twenties he took up screen writing and wrote for Doctor Who, Casualty and Jupiter Moon. While working as a bookseller at Waterstones he made the decisions he wanted to write his own books. He currently lives in London.

This was one of those books I saw around at some point on a blog and thought it was good looking. While it resided on my 'want to read' shelves other books in this series were released and a lot of those reviews told how brilliant the first was. While reading the book I once again realized I should not be reading reviews on books I want to read. This makes me expect things I might not find in the book and this is one of those victims. Does this mean the book is bad. No it does not so let me tell you my thoughts but do take in mind they might be drowning in a little pool of disappointment because of that.
Peter Grant is a funny character. He has a healthy, or not so much, dose of sarcasm build in and does not seem to take the whole world that serious. With this attitude and the job he is working I was not so surprised by the planned assignment with some boring desk job. His attitude makes that you do not feel you have to take all the things happening around him to serious either making the weird stuff bearable. He is also a bit rude and easily influenced by his hormones.
Inspector Nightingale was a very interesting character and I would have loved to know more about him but he stays on the mysterious side. The rivers of London are funny though it took me some time to understand the whole idea with these characters.
The story and development of the mystery had some interesting factors but a lot of coincidences too that disturbed me a bit. Still the developments did make sense and it was possible to puzzle along with Peter though you did have to count on some surprising extra possibilities I as reader nor Peter could have counted on. I have laughed at various occasions and was entertained but the spark I had expected from various reviews. I am not sure I will continue reading this series.

The Rivers of London
Author: Ben Aaronovitch
Publisher: Gollancz
Pages: 392
Format: Hardcover
ISBN-10: 0575097566
ISBN-13: 9780575097568
Series: Peter Grant #1
Gollancz: eBook | Hardcover | Paperback | audioBook
The Rivers of London

3 stars

Previous
Next Post »

2 reacties

Write reacties
16 November, 2013 delete

Okay, I'll skip it! Thanks for the tip.

Reply
avatar
Melinda
AUTHOR
19 November, 2013 delete

Thanks for the honest review, I think that for the same reasons you have, I wouldn't enjoy this book.

Reply
avatar