Train on Thursday: Raising Steam, Terry Pratchett

I travel with public transport on regular base. One of my favorite past times when in bus or train besides reading is checking out what other people read. I usually look these books up (especially when someone is so hooked they don't notice me checking them out) to see if they would be something for me. In this weekly I will introduce you to the books I spotted while traveling.
If you want to join in this weekly feel free to write your own post on the books you spot. That can be anywhere, in the park, on the street, in line at the bookstore / library. There is a linky in the bottom to link up your post. Or leave a comment.

Raising Steam, Terry Pratchett
To the consternation of the patrician, Lord Vetinari, a new invention has arrived in Ankh-Morpork - a great clanging monster of a machine that harnesses the power of all the elements: earth, air, fire and water. This being Ankh-Morpork, it's soon drawing astonished crowds, some of whom caught the zeitgeist early and arrive armed with notepads and very sensible rainwear.

Moist von Lipwig is not a man who enjoys hard work - as master of the Post Office, the Mint and the Royal Bank his input is, of course, vital... but largely dependent on words, which are fortunately not very heavy and don't always need greasing. However, he does enjoy being alive, which makes a new job offer from Vetinari hard to refuse...

Steam is rising over Discworld, driven by Mister Simnel, the man wi' t'flat cap and sliding rule who has an interesting arrangement with the sine and cosine. Moist will have to grapple with gallons of grease, goblins, a fat controller with a history of throwing employees down the stairs and some very angry dwarfs if he's going to stop it all going off the rails...

I have read a lot of Discworld novels but am still working trough the whole series. I am planning to read a few new again. Some day I will get to this one for sure (like when I have a 13 week holiday or something) Do you like Discworld?



Previous
Next Post »

2 reacties

Write reacties
Andi
AUTHOR
21 November, 2013 delete

I just started with Discworld this year, and I started with the Tiffany Aching books. I just love them and can't wait to read more!

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
22 November, 2013 delete

I love Discworld! My boyfriend is totally hooked on this series. I've only read 1 and 4, but I'm planning on reading all of them!

Reply
avatar