Train on Thursday: Ruby, Pearl in the Mist, Virginia Andrews

I travel with public transport on regular base. One of my favourite past times when in bus or train besides reading is checking out what other people read. I usually look these books up (especially when someone is so hooked they don't notice me checking them out) to see if they would be something for me. In this weekly I will introduce you to the books I spotted while travelling.
If you want to join in this weekly feel free to write your own post on the books you spot. That can be anywhere, in the park, on the street, in line at the bookstore / library. There is a linky in the bottom to link up your post. Or leave a comment.

Fate whisked Ruby from a simple life in the Louisiana Bayou. But her new riches bring more treachery than happiness...
Even after a year as a Dumas, Ruby still wonders at the splendor of the family's New Orleans mansion, and rejoices in the love of the father she had never known. But true happiness in her new home is as elusive as d swamp mist. Ruby must carefully avoid a venomous enemy: her stepmother, Daphne, who cringes and sneers at her backwater upbringing. And Ruby's every effort to befriend her twin sister, Gisselle -- especially since Gisselle's crippling accident -- is answered with bitterness and vicious backstabbing.
So idyllic Greenwood -- the exclusive girls' boarding school that her father has chosen for his daughters' senior year -- seems to promise some peace from the conniving Daphne, and maybe even a fresh start with Gisselle. But Ruby's kind isn't welcome at Greenwood, and the legendarily strict headmistress, Mrs. Ironwood, plots with her stepmother to make her life miserable. Meanwhile, Gisselle is on a mission to break every school rule, leaving Ruby to suffer the humiliating punishments. But Ruby doesn't lose hope -- until a terrible tragedy leaves her alone in a world that never really wanted her. Ruby will have to summon every last ounce of her Cajun strength to reclaim her home, her future, and the happiness she once knew....

The girl was almost done with the book and she had trouble putting it back in her bag when the train arrived to it's destination. And now for me... Yes I read Virginia Andrews. I know there are some strong opinions about her books out there but if you are twelve and read "Flowers in the Attic" for the first time your mind just feels as if it reads something that is forbidden and children love to do forbidden things so now I have a weak spot for her books. I must admit I usually read the first three in a series and after that I am done (sometimes not even)

So confession time... name your guilty pleasure book!!



Previous
Next Post »