A day in my life!

A few weeks ago Trish from Love, Laughter and a touch of Insanity called out on twitter if people would be interested in blogging about a day in their life. This came after she wrote a post about how she is juggling her life with two little kids, work, a husband and a household and got a lot of positive reactions.I always love reading her posts and she is one of the people who convinced me I should try to share a bit more of my personal life which I am trying in my Monday posts. This event sounded like a lot of fun to share a bit more with the people reading a blog so I decided to join and write about my day.
I do use a 24h clock as I am used to it. 



7.00 Get up stand up.... So the alarm is set for 7 on workdays. The normal routine getting dressed, make lunch, have breakfast, watch the news and brush teeth.

7.45 Of to work it is... I am Dutch we cycle to work no matter what the weather is like. Obviously this morning it is raining..

8.00 Start computers...I work on a skilled service desk. The company I work for creates solutions for government and linked organizations to keep track of the support they give to the people. On Friday I am alone which means it is my task to answer the email and try to solve as many problems as I can on the side. My mailbox is filled nicely and I have a lot to do when...

9.00 Stand up... we tell each other what we worked on yesterday and what the plans for today are.

9.30 Logged out of the systems... This is not supposed to happen. As our techguys are busy it becomes clear that the cause is a major power failure around the data center and some of our servers do not want to start up. So someone has to go there and start them up manually. Without my servers there is not much I can actually do so I had some chats with other people who cannot do their work and drank a lot of tea.

11.30 And we are back up or... Slowly servers are getting back up and I can at least read my email and read my call system again. Not all servers are available though so still cannot really work again.

12.00 Lunch... as if I had something better to do. Well actually I do. I managed to get logged on to an environment to check a problem and what it shows is making the day worse. When technology does not work as expected it is the worst. Have to search for a fix now which is going to take more time from answering emails. I hate making priority choices as they always backfire.

13.40 Finally everything is up and running .. back to work

14.24 I signed up for Dewey's Read-a-Thon ... back to work

16.30 My brain is refusing any more information. It is not going in or coming out. Today is the worst and you get to share. Bonus is that I get to do some overtime tonight as I need to solve some trouble that I cannot work on while our customer is working. Hopefully it will all go well as it is not that much work. 

17.00 Weekend... not really but it is oooooo sooooo close. First groceries. On Friday we get the big groceries for the week. Usually we forget something or it is not in store and we need to go to the shop again during the week but we try our best. Today it worked out and we got all we needed so back home.

17.55 Diner... I am hungry. On Friday we usually eat something small and easy(and often not so healthy) and today we decided on cheeseburgers.

18.55 Diner and Dishes done. I hate doing dishes.. as soon as you turn around it is back. Still when we got the new kitchen we decided on not getting a dishwasher. With just the two of us we do not need it for the volume of the dishes and it is actually a nice and social moment for us. As René is one of the tech guys at work we obviously discussed the power failure.

19.00 And back to work... going to solve the customers problems I hope.

19.30 News... Catching up on what happens in the world. Obviously the most important news... the power failure that broke down half our countries coffee machines and the plane crash in France which is simply a horrible story.

20.00 More work

21.45 Done with work on to Blogstuff... am writing this post and a review for tomorrow which I am horribly late with but I overlooked it in my planner.

22.00 Reading time!!!! Going to hide in a corner with my book until I fall asleep which can be anywhere between now and 23.00 when I will turn of the light. Good Night!!


Previous
Next Post »

11 reacties

Write reacties
Kay
AUTHOR
28 March, 2015 delete

Enjoyed hearing about your 'day'! My hubby works in IT and so I know about servers and power failures and having to deal with issues. Sounds like a frustrating day. But cheeseburgers - always good. ;-)

Reply
avatar
Beth F
AUTHOR
28 March, 2015 delete

Nothing so frustrating than hearing that the servers are down.

Reply
avatar
Jen G.
AUTHOR
28 March, 2015 delete

So cool - I'm loving these day in the life of posts!

Reply
avatar
Unknown
AUTHOR
28 March, 2015 delete

I hate that time of day when my brain stops processing information. :-) Great post!

Reply
avatar
29 March, 2015 delete

I understand computer issues. We've been having them recently too. One of our servers went down because a car hit a power pole and it's been days since and it's still having problems. Yes, that plane crash was such a tragedy. Heartbreaking.

Thank you for sharing your day with us!

Reply
avatar
29 March, 2015 delete

It's amazing we every did work before computers when we see how we're effected when they go down! Technology problems can derail a whole lot of functions these days.

Reply
avatar
Megan
AUTHOR
29 March, 2015 delete

Your day of solving technology problems sounds a little like mine. So frustrating when things don't work like they're supposed to, especially when the reason isn't immediately apparent. Thanks for sharing your day!

Reply
avatar
Lindsey
AUTHOR
30 March, 2015 delete

I hate dishes too. They are the bane of my domestic existence because I can just never have a clean kitchen for more than two minutes!!

How long does it take you to bike to work? That sounds like a great way to get some exercise into your day, no matter what!

Reply
avatar
Ciska
AUTHOR
30 March, 2015 delete

It is about 15 minutes one way. I don't cycle to fast though like to tour and enjoy my time outside.

Reply
avatar
31 March, 2015 delete

So sorry you had to work so late into the evening due to the problem--never fun when work cuts into the weekend like that. And the biking to work sounds great--I remember seeing a lot of that in Europe when I've visited. You don't see it often here (even if I didn't have to drop off my kids it would likely be too far and too hot in the summer). But my sister lives in San Francisco and bikes everywhere. Advantage of living in the city versus suburbs, I think!!

Thanks for sharing Ciska! It was fun to see a little bit more of your life. :)

Reply
avatar
05 April, 2015 delete

I hate when power or Internet goes out during the day. We do almost all of our work online, so when the Internet goes down it's hard to get anything done. We were down for almost a full day a few months ago and it was ridiculous. Thanks for sharing about your day!

Reply
avatar