The Crane Wife, Patrick Ness

The Crane Wife, Patrick Ness

Author: Patrick Ness
Publisher: Canongate
Pages: 305
Format: Paperback
ISBN-10: 0857868748
ISBN-13: 9780857868749
Canongate: eBook | Audiobook | Paperback
The Crane Wife
4 stars

One night, George Duncan is woken by a noise in his garden. Impossibly, a great white crane has tumbled to earth, shot through its wing by an arrow. Unexpectedly moved, George helps the bird, and from the moment he watches it fly away, his life is transformed. The next day, a beautiful woman called Kumiko walks into his shop and begins to tell him the most extraordinary story.

I want to see that art! It sounds so beautiful as does the rest of the story. Love and forgiveness, difficult choices and survival. I am sure that if I read this book again I would find new things in the story. As this becomes clear right at the first page when mystery is dropped at your feet I had a hard time getting into the story. I was to afraid to miss things but there are so many things happening that I decided to just go with the flow. This is actually very easy because the writing is beautiful and it has a certain rhythm
It is easy to like George, which is about the biggest part of his problem. His surroundings want him to stand up for himself and do things. George is aware that people have that feeling specially as Amanda, his daughter, suffers from brutal honesty. Still he cannot manage to change. I liked Amanda. She is a very refreshing and honest character in the story making it easy to connect to her.
Next to these two humans there was Kumiko. A mysterious woman with secrets and a great story. I never felt a connection to her but that is the whole trick. She stays hidden in layers of her secret.



Previous
Next Post »