Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Authors Who Deserve More Recognition

top ten buttonTop Ten Tuesday is a weekly hosted by The Broke and Bookish. Every week the girls from the Broke and
Bookish come up with a subject and I will try to find 10 results combined with that weeks topic.

A long time ago I realized you need to plan your top ten Tuesdays at least two weeks in advance so you can really think about your answer, look up the right information and remember things from the past. As the last weeks had been very busy I neglected starting this one on time and obviously this is not the easiest topic that is in the list now on the contrary. Ten authors who deserve more recognition is this weeks topic and I honestly do not have a clue how to even start giving an answer.

Would that be authors I read a book by and loved and I feel everybody should read it. But if is it ok to pick out debuts that have been released only this year? Because honestly an author has to do some work too to get acknowledged like putting him/herself out there and promote (or the publishing house). So that feels weird to me because recognition is something that has to grow too which would bring me to authors that have been around for ages and I feel should be read more but than there is a reason they are probably not which do not always have to do with the author but could be genre. And what is more recognition... where is the line.. what is the rule.

Do I pick authors I do not think I see around the blogosphere enough (but am I following to right blogs to walk into posts on these authors?) or do I pick authors I really enjoyed but have only like 5 ratings on Goodreads even when their book has been out for over a year. It is clear I should have seen this topic weeks ago so I would have had enough time to come up with an idea that works for me. So here is my list which will be as much a rambling as this part was.

1. Elizabeth George 
Obviously her books are read a lot if I take in account the numbers on Goodreads. But if I compare this to the number of times I hear the name Karin Slaughter around I am surprised. I love both authors so am sharp on both names but Slaughter is around a lot more than George.

2. John Sandford 
The same as with the lady on the number 1 actually. An other of my favorite crime authors that I do not see around a lot even though new books are released.

Okay a few "newbies" that deserve praise for their book
3. Andrew Buckley 
Though he has a weird way of setting up self promotion he did write a great and hilarious book I enjoyed a lot. If he keeps that up in future books he sure deserves some attention.

4. Jolene Stockman 
Started her author career with a self help book but wrote a very cute and pleasant novel in 2012 which for sure deserves some attention too. I really hope she will write more books.

One hidden author I enjoyed very much but I did no see that much in other places.

5. Robert Goolrick 
I read Heading out to Wonderful earlier this year and though I do not think it would be a book for everyone to read the language use of this author is beautiful and a pleasure for the reader.

Previous
Next Post »

6 reacties

Write reacties
16 July, 2013 delete

I've never read anything by Elizabeth George, but I've only ever heard good things. Thanks for the recommendation -- I should give her a try. I didn't love Heading Out To Wonderful, but I did think A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick was powerful and so well written. Nice list!

Lisa

Reply
avatar
Ula
AUTHOR
16 July, 2013 delete

I have no idea who these are. I will have to look them up and expand my bookish knowledge of authors and genres :)

Reply
avatar
16 July, 2013 delete

Great list! I've seen Elizabeth George's books here and there but yeah, never read them.

My TTT

Reply
avatar
Melinda
AUTHOR
17 July, 2013 delete

Never heard of any of them, so yeah, your list might be right :)

Reply
avatar
17 July, 2013 delete

I haven't heard of most of these authors (I guess that's why they need more recognition!) but I keep forgetting that I have the audio for Goolrich's Heading Out to Wonderful. I need to bump that up on the list!

Reply
avatar
Unknown
AUTHOR
17 July, 2013 delete

I have never heard of any of these and am always on the lookout for new crime writers, so thanks!

Reply
avatar