Wishlist Wednesday: The Ocean at the End of the Lane, Neil Gaiman

Wishlist Wednesday is a weeklies hosted by Pen to Paper.As I have enough wishes when it comes to books I decided to join this weekly and tell you about them. I am obviously curious about the books on your wishlist too so feel free to leave a message.

The Ocean at the End of the Lane, Neil Gaiman cover
Sussex, England. A middle-aged man returns to his childhood home to attend a funeral. Although the house he lived in is long gone, he is drawn to the farm at the end of the road, where, when he was seven, he encountered a most remarkable girl, Lettie Hempstock, and her mother and grandmother. He hasn't thought of Lettie in decades, and yet as he sits by the pond (a pond that she'd claimed was an ocean) behind the ramshackle old farmhouse, the unremembered past comes flooding back. And it is a past too strange, too frightening, too dangerous to have happened to anyone, let alone a small boy.

Forty years earlier, a man committed suicide in a stolen car at this farm at the end of the road. Like a fuse on a firework, his death lit a touchpaper and resonated in unimaginable ways. The darkness was unleashed, something scary and thoroughly incomprehensible to a little boy. And Lettie—magical, comforting, wise beyond her years—promised to protect him, no matter what.
I have read various books by Neil Gaiman and love the atmosphere in them. As this sounds like a great read with secrets and scary things and strange things all around I really want to read it. Truth is though that I still have a giant pile of books that need to be read so I put myself on a book buying ban for now. But as soon as that pile is gone I will get my hands on this one. 


Previous
Next Post »

6 reacties

Write reacties
Naga
AUTHOR
10 July, 2013 delete

Neil Gaiman is like my spirit animal... I can't even...
He is so good at creating a certain atmosphere, he describes so well the place that you really feel like you're there or you wish you were. Hope you get to read the book soon ^^

Ella @Read Into Hiding

Reply
avatar
10 July, 2013 delete

I am dying to read some of Gaiman's books, I've only read The Sandman graphic novel

My wishlist wednesday
Lauren

Reply
avatar
10 July, 2013 delete

I just read this one last week (my review is up, if you're interested)... but bottom line is that this is such an incredible, beautiful book! I'll definitely want to read it again and take more time to enjoy it. This one might be worth breaking your book buying ban for!

Lisa
My WW

Reply
avatar
Ula
AUTHOR
10 July, 2013 delete

I keep saying I'll start with Gaiman's books but then never do. I have to fix that soon.

Hope you get the book soon! :)

Reply
avatar
Unknown
AUTHOR
11 July, 2013 delete

This sounds interesting! I might have to check this one out. I hope you get it soon!
Brittany @ Spare Time Book blog
My WW: http://sparetimebookblog.blogspot.com/2013/07/wishlist-wednesday-55.html

Reply
avatar
Melinda
AUTHOR
12 July, 2013 delete

I like the cover of this book.

Reply
avatar