Top Ten Tuesday: The Most Intimidating Books

Top Ten Tuesday ButtonTop Ten Tuesday is a weekly hosted by The Broke and Bookish. Every week the girls from the Broke and
Bookish come up with a subject and I will try to find 10 results combined with that weeks topic.

This weeks topic is The Top Ten Most Intimidating Books (might be intimated by size, content, that everyone else loves it but you are sure you won't etc). I had a hard time with this one. Though I know I am reluctant in picking up a lot of books there are situations in which I can be tricked into reading them anyhow. I did come up with some things though but it probably wont make up for a top ten.

1. The Russians 
There are some great books written by Russian authors especially the 19th century brought along a lot of big Russian titles. Not only in name but also in pages. I did try Anna Karenina but got bored and am still eying a few of the others by Dostoyevsky and Pushkin but they are not high on my list and will certainly not be my first choices.

2. The Philosophers
We go to the beach and drag along some work by Nietzsche.. well that is not me. I read to relax and though I do not mind if a book has a subject that makes me think or consider situations I do not really look for that. And yes I find it intimidating that people do think those books are the right books for the beach.

And after two weeks considering these are there things I came up with on this subject. Which makes me very curious about the lists of you guys to see what would intimidate you so I can see what I missed.
Previous
Next Post »

8 reacties

Write reacties
Unknown
AUTHOR
02 July, 2013 delete

Wow, those would definitely intimidate me too! They certainly don't sound like beach reads to me either!? I also read to relax & escape reality, so I much prefer something that I can just tune out to - especially for a beach read!

Thanks for stopping by My Top Ten

Reply
avatar
02 July, 2013 delete

I didn't even think of the Russian authors, but you're definitely right.

Thanks for stopping by my TTT post earlier.

Reply
avatar
Daisy
AUTHOR
02 July, 2013 delete

Haha, the Russians intimidate me as well ;) I pushed through Anna Karenina, but it took AGES and there are whole stretches of paper going on and on about Russian agriculture and I ended up hating Anna... But I do feel like I should read more of this scary literature.

Reply
avatar
02 July, 2013 delete

I totally understand why the Russians can be intimidating, they're certainly not the easiest writers to get through! I love Tolstoy but Dostoevsky can be trying, even for this Russianist! xD

If you do decide to tackle them again some time down the road, from the two you mentioned I would recommend Pushkin. He's easier to follow and his plots are more interesting. Maybe Anton Chekhov as well; he's only wrote short novels and I find his character POVs fascinating :)

My TTT

Reply
avatar
Melinda
AUTHOR
02 July, 2013 delete

Never read either of them!

Reply
avatar
Ula
AUTHOR
02 July, 2013 delete

I am really scared to start Russian novels as well. We talked about them in high school but I always chickened out. My friends read them and liked them as well but I just cannot be swayed, for now :)

Reply
avatar
03 July, 2013 delete

Yes, these are too big categories of books that I shy away from! I finally gave up on War and Peace last year. Very hard for me to do.

Reply
avatar
Isi
AUTHOR
04 July, 2013 delete

I only have read Ana Karenina, long time ago, so now I don't find the Russians very intimidating; I feel I can face their books! ;)
But regarding philosophers, I absolutely agree. I would also add the Greek classics; they really intimidate me!

Reply
avatar