Top Ten Tuesday: Words that make you put a book back on the shelf

top ten tuesday buttonTop Ten Tuesday is a weekly hosted by The Broke and Bookish. Every week the girls from the Broke and
Bookish come up with a subject and I will try to find 10 results combined with that weeks topic.

This weeks topic is "Words that make you NOT read a book" as opposed to the post earlier this year where you will pick up a book because of that one word. This one is hard for me because I am easily tricked into things. Now I feel like an brainless zombie that does everything someone else tells her but I guess when it comes to books I really am a bit like that. If you will tell me a book is great and a must read and it is beautiful you can probably convince me to start it even if I am not much into the whole subject.
But obviously when I am not under your influence and I am to pick out my own book there are books I put back on the shelves due to words or subjects and I did put some limitations on my review policy too.

The genres I will not really pick up easily are the following
1. Erotica
2. Religious fiction
3. Spiritual fiction
4. Self help
5. Dutch literature authors.

Still there are books in these genres that are on my shelves because I did read them because of on reason or the other.
Next I can turn down a book because of the cover. I do not really have an example at hand though. 
Previous
Next Post »

11 reacties

Write reacties
Unknown
AUTHOR
23 July, 2013 delete

I don't seem to pick books which belong to religious or spiritual fiction either. Quite many people have listed it. :)

Reply
avatar
23 July, 2013 delete

I've found everything advertised as religious fiction to be insipid. Sadly.

Here's my Top Ten list.

Reply
avatar
Ula
AUTHOR
23 July, 2013 delete

Ooooh self-help, didn't even think about that one. What a load of bull. I totally agree with your list! :)

My TTT

Reply
avatar
23 July, 2013 delete

Yeah, I guess I wouldn't pick up self-help either. Might've done it once or twice before but it left me going "Well, that's obvious" lol.

Erotica also made my list this week O_O

Any particular reason why you wouldn't likely pick up Dutch literary titles/authors?

My TTT

Reply
avatar
23 July, 2013 delete

Fantastic list ;) I couldn't agree more

Reply
avatar
Unknown
AUTHOR
23 July, 2013 delete

Thanks to the genre swap on my blog I don't really avoid certain books anymore. I used to think Christian literature wasn't my cup of tea but after reading a beautiful book by W. Paul Young I had to accept the fact that I really loved it.

Reply
avatar
Ciska
AUTHOR
23 July, 2013 delete

My experience with Dutch literature is just not very positive Lianne. It probably has to do with the required school reading.

Reply
avatar
Celine
AUTHOR
23 July, 2013 delete

I completely agree on all of your choices! I love English literature, but most Dutch literature books I read were terrible. Christian/inspirational books don't really interest me either.

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
24 July, 2013 delete

Great list- I really can't do non fiction-especially not self help!

Reply
avatar
Kelly
AUTHOR
24 July, 2013 delete

Religious fiction and spiritual fiction isn't really my thing either sadly. ):
Great list!

My TTT

Reply
avatar
Melinda
AUTHOR
25 July, 2013 delete

Erotica is also not on my list of genres I would pick up. I think we are in the same boat, I haven't read Afrikaans fiction since highschool! I will start again soon, because I've heard about some nice novels!

Reply
avatar